When booking a trip to Portugal, one of the perks is being able to vacation by the seaside – and these resorts allow travelers to do just that.
Portugal is home to many of Europe’s most gorgeous beaches. Located on the Iberian Peninsula, this beautiful country has a lot to offer—scenery, culture, history, and lots of fun things to see and do. In recent years, Portugal has also become a top tourist destination because of its reputation for affordable vacations combined with a plethora of luxury resorts; offering visitors outstanding accommodations that make for the perfect beach getaway.
While COVID-19 protocols are easing in some locations, many countries still have safety and health guidelines in place. Visitors can check Portugal’s current guidelines here.
7 Vilalara Thalassa Resort
Travelers looking for privacy and ultimate relaxation will love the Vilalara Resort. With a gated entrance, private beach, and verdant, Eden-esque surroundings, guests will feel as if they are own their own private island. A luxe spa, six (!) outdoor pools, three tennis courts, and two restaurants; in addition to rooms with private balconies, make for the most amazing beachfront retreat.
- Tip: The spa is known for its thalassotherapy treatments (the use of seawater as a form of therapy and relaxation), and is known as one of the top spots for thalassotherapy in the world.
6 Tivoli Carvoeiro
For those that want a stunning beach view—the Tivoli is the place to be. Situated on a cliff that overlooks the Vale do Covo, visitors have an incredible view of the blue-green Atlantic. The hotel looks as if it rose up from the cliff itself; nestled comfortably and cozily with front row seats to one of the best views around. While there is no direct beach access from the resort, there are several nearby if visitors fancy a day on the sand.
- Tip: Have a spa day at the Tivoli Spa and enjoy the indoor pool and steam room/sauna before enjoying a sumptuous dinner at The One Gourmet, an onsite restaurant known for its fresh, vibrant Portuguese cuisine.
5 Pestana Palm Gardens
Located in Carvoeiro, a coastline town known for its picturesque views, Pestana Palm Gardens is another clifftop retreat that overlooks the ocean. Good news for beach lovers—the beach at Vale do Covo is less than a five-minute walk from the resort. Guests will have plenty to do onsite with outdoor swimming pools, a tennis court, and table tennis; and golf aficionados will appreciate the nearby championship courses.
- Tip: This is known as a great vacation spot for couples, who love the panoramic sea views and lush, manicured gardens.
4 VidaMar Resort Hotel Madeira
Located near Funchal (the capital of Portugal’s Madeira archipelago), this resort is perfectly situated for visitors to enjoy a beachfront vacation while also having plenty to see and do nearby. Overlooking the deep blue waters and complete with manicured lawn, tropical gardens, three swimming pools, and five restaurants, guests have everything they need onsite. Want to explore? Funchal is less than five minutes away and is known for its history, scenery, and culture.
- Tip: All of the VidaMar’s 300 rooms have water views. While the rooms are lovely, the view is definitely the star of the show as the minimalist decor is designed to make the deep blue water the main attraction.
3 The Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel
Vacationers looking for plenty of fun activities will love the Martinhal. Guests can enjoy everything from windsurfing to kayaking; surfing to golfing, all onsite. The resort is also extremely family-friendly, offering many activities designed specifically for kids to enjoy—like treasure hunts and surfing lessons. Right next to the beach and bordering a nature preserve, the views at the Martinhal aren’t too shabby either.
- Tip: All rooms have private balconies and terraces, so be sure to take in the relaxing view. Head into the historic village of Sagres (less than 2 miles away), for a fun afternoon outing.
2 Crowne Plaza Vilamoura
Rising proudly from the golden sand in Vilamoura, the Crowne Plaza is twelve stories high and the epitome of a beach resort. Every room has a balcony and is guaranteed a lovely view of the sea. And the beach is just a stone’s throw away for those who want to soak up the sun in style—but don’t forget to also take a dip in the resort’s three pools! Its location is close to the marina and the area’s five golf courses make it the perfect spot for those looking for both rest and recreation.
- Tip: The resort has two amazing restaurants, but if visitors want to chill in their posh rooms and stare at the sea, there’s also 24-hour room service.
1 Memmo Baleeira Hotel
The bright white buildings of the Memmo Baleeira Hotel contrast beautifully with the lush, green surroundings of the Costa Vicentina Natural Park, and the deep blue waters of the Atlantic. Choose a room with a sea view, or one with a garden view—either way, the scenery does not disappoint. Close to the village of Sagres (less than 1,000 feet away), and a five-minute walk to two nearby beaches, guests will have plenty to see and do both on and off-site.
The Memmo is great for both couples looking for a relaxing, romantic getaway, and families looking for a fun spot with activities for everyone. (There is even a Kid’s Club!)
- Tip: The Memmo will help guests arrange a number of recreational activities upon request, including surfing, diving, biking, and golf.
Anyone looking for a beach getaway should consider a trip to one of Portugal’s many beautiful beach resorts. Those looking to max and relax will love the spas, sunbathing, and all the luxe amenities; while lovers of recreational activities like golf, surfing, biking, kayaking (and more), will find plenty to do at any one of these fab Portuguese paradises.
NEXT: 20 Beautiful Places In Portugal That Completely Surprised Us
These Are The Cities Everyone Is Booking For Long-Term Stays, And Why
About The Author